“Rookwood is the oldest, largest and most multicultural cemetery in Australia, and Hidden invites the public to experience the historic and cultural significance of this iconic site… [it’s] an outdoor sculptural exhibition that steps outside the notion of mainstream galleries and typical outdoor sculpture exhibitions.” – Hidden In Rookwood
Notes from the field:
- Hidden 2016 ran from 23 September to 23 October. It was the sculpture walk’s third run. Check out their gallery on their website here. They also have a rather unheralded Instagram account.
- Hidden was by far the most enthralling and mind-jogging sculpture walk I’ve been to in Sydney. I urge you to check it out next year.
- The day we went was muggy, with heavy, threatening clouds overhead. Luckily for us, the rain stayed away and we roamed in peace. We came across the audio-visual piece at the end, just as we thought there wasn’t any more to see. It was the perfect way to end our stay.
- Ram’s, a South Indian/Sri Lankan takeaway joint down the road in Flemington provided us with a great feed beforehand.
- Remember, alles ist vergänglich.